As I walk down memory lane the tears spring unannounced to my eyes.. my throat feels choked and I gasp with surprise.. Surely I should be feeling happy on this bright sunny day with the gentle wind playing with my tresses and the cool watery sunshine caressing my face.. But its not been an easy 8 months since the divorce. Seems like an ugly word. Sometimes I cannot believe this happened to me.. Snap out I say to myself..
Recently I met a very interesting person and he told me.. stop crying and write down 5 reasons why you think you are a very lucky person.. You must be joking I said. I am not at all lucky….quite the contrary, in fact… I thought the man must be crazy, here I was alone with two small children in an alien country, struggling with a job, difficult finances and with no help at all.. !!!!
But later that evening I actually took up pen and paper.. and low and behold I had really filled up pages with ‘why i think i am lucky’..
1. I am grateful to be where I am (which is 100 times better than where I was a few years back). I have a good well paying job, a nice understanding boss, nice colleagues and most of all a job that I like and enjoy (most of the time)..
2. I have two great kids who have stood by me with their little hand trustingly in mine and their silent eyes full of love, sympathy and understanding….with silent promises to make all the hurt and sorrow go away. They have been through everything with me and if they can come out of it so can I !!!!
3. I have a very nice family and friends and am grateful for the lives of such amazing people that has touched mine at some point and is still entwined with mine in so many ways.. I cant count people I love.. friends, family, and even acquaintances who have reached out to offer encouragement and sympathy!!
4. Money is not all but its something and I came from the depths of loans into a situation where I can even lend a helping had at times.. feels good!!
5. Good health .. never underestimate and never forget to appreciate good health. We don’t realise its worth until it goes away..
6. travel and memories.. I think of the time that we spend traveling and holidaying as deposits I make into my memory bank and I know that when the kids have grown up and flown out of the nest that I will still be warmed by little instances of shared laughter and warmth we shard. Never let good memories go away.. keep them close to you.
7. A home to call my own.. finally we own a house… can’t say how much comfort that brings.. even though its a small apartment.. its a feeling that somewhere in the world we have a roof to call our own and where we can stretch our tired limbs and close our weary eyes and seek comfort..
8. Education and professionalism.. never compromise on what you have.This is your selling point in the marketplace and constant honing of skills and uncompromising professionalism is the key to success at the work place..
Well as you can see I could go on like this.. but I think you do get the message. Count your blessings once in a while and send up there a silent prayer of thanks… God be with you all and give you strength.